Get Free Calls Over Wi-Fi with BlackBerry Messenger 7 With Voice Chat
Research In Motion today launched BlackBerry® Messenger (BBM™)version 7, a free update for the globally popular mobile social network. A key new feature of the update will allow customers to make free voice calls to their BBM contacts around the world over a Wi-Fi® connection*.The feature is a fast, convenient, and inexpensive way to stay connected with friends,family and colleagues.
The Beta version of BBM 7 with the new BBM Voice feature was made available to the public through BlackBerry Beta Zone on November 14, 2012. Beta testers wereexcited and pleased with the update, generating comments such as: “The voice feature is easy to use and the audio quality is excellent.”
Some BBM Stats:
- When RIM surveyed customers who downloaded the Beta, over 80% of testers said that they were likely to recommend BBM version 7.
- In the same survey, 90% of testers said that they would use BBM Voice while travelling to keep in touch.
- Nearly half of BBM customers have international contacts and can benefit from free Wi-Fi calls.
According to T.A. McCann, Vice President of BBM and Social Communities at RIM:
“BBM began as a convenient and effective business messaging tool, and today it is an essential part of daily communications for customers around the world. Now, with BBM version 7, customers have a new option: they can text and talk with their BBM contacts near and far, for free. With the integrated experience, we extend the core features of reliable, real-time engagement to include voice calling and take BBM to the next level.”
What Else is New in BBM 7 with BBM Voice?
- Multi-tasking with Split-screen feature– Customers can do more while theytalk, such as check other BBM text chats, check email, or navigate to other apps while engaged on a BBM Voice call.They can start a call in an instant, and switch between texting and talking, or text and talk at the same time. They canalso for example, send a picture to a contact while theyare talking with them.
- Clear Visual Indicator–Customers can see when contacts are available for a voice call.
- Convenient Compatibility with Accessories –Customers can use their favorite accessories, such as a Bluetooth® or wired headset, or use the BlackBerry smartphone’s speakerphone.
- 16 New Emoticons – Available in the final software released today, customers will see a slate of new emoticons offer them fresh, fun ways to express themselves in text chats.
- Direct BBM Update Notification –BBM will now notify a customer when there isan update from within the app, and allow them to download it immediately from inside the app.
- Simple BlackBerry ID Synchronization –A customer’s BBM profile, Groups and Contacts are now linked to their BBID for easy backup and restore.The data will also carry over when they move to BlackBerry 10.
BBM 7 with BBM Voice is now available for all BlackBerry smartphonesrunning the BlackBerry 6 OS or higher. The BBM 7 software update can be downloaded for free here
For more information about BBM, please visit blackberry.com/bbm.
* BBM requires a BlackBerry service plan. The BBM Voice feature requires a Wi-Fi connection with access to the Internet and may not be available in all markets. BBM Contacts must also be on BBM 7.0 and connected to Wi-Fi to have a BBM Voice chat.